Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Archiving - View indexes - Size really does matter

We are in an archiving process. The main server had about 2,4 terabytes of mails before the process. Now, the NAS server has more than 450go of data but we havn't recovered the expected amount of disk space. The archive process is doing single instance so it will only keep one copie of an attachment but we are still around 2,2go. I know there is new mail messages since the beginning of the process but it's not the only reason. I'm trying to find out why.

I'm beginning to suspect the view indexes. I've ran a script and many of our users keeps more than 1000 messages in their Inbox, the biggest one has more than 37000 (I know, i should teach them GTD :-). The inbox is one of the most sollicitated design elements in a mail file.

Best practices for large Lotus Notes mail files

With that amount of mails in the Inbox, could it explain (in part) the "missing recovered space"?

Example:
A- In Db1 ,1000 documents in my Inbox. Each documents are 1ko in size
B- In Db2,1000 documents in my Inbox. Each documents are 1Mb in size.

Which db will have the biggest view indexes? Will it be the same?

Does the view indexes depends on the document's size or only the type of columns (Sorting,etc)

If I have the same dbs but I move 900 documents from the Inbox to another folder, the view indexes will decrease? Am I right?

Ref: Size really does matter
W​h​a​t​ ​c​a​u​s​e​s​ ​N​o​t​e​s​ ​d​a​t​a​b​a​s​e​ ​i​n​d​e​x​e​s​ ​t​o​ ​r​e​b​u​i​l​d​?

1 comment:

Graham Richards said...

The View Indexes will only hold the data that you see in the view. The size of the document does not contribute to the this, so the two databases should have the same sized index.

Moving documents to a different folder would not help, as that folder also has an index.