Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Why is it important to keep copies of your old databases - Agile

A few weeks ago I did a development for a client. I did the rollout, everything was fine. In the course of the development, the client changed his mind a few times. After a few weeks, I've delivered "THE final version".
Now , my client is asking me a new functionality that I had proposed a few months ago in the course of the development, At that time , he said No, it's not important and useful.

With the Agile approach (By the way, great post of Tony Palmer Agile what is it and should I care ?), I did a few versions of the database, letting the client do his tests. Many of those versions were deleted from the development server over the last months.

But, I'm a freak, so I keep many version of my development projects on my servers.

Guess what? My client is asking me the new functionality that I had proposed months ago...By chance, i still have a local copy of that version!

So , it is important to keep copies of your old databases

2 comments:

Tony Palmer said...

Thanks for the mention and I'm glad you liked the post. I'm also a bit of a hoarder/freak, I've got CDs of old databases tucked away in the home office. In the absence of a source code management system, keeping a copy is useful - you never know when you just might need it again.

Ed Lee said...

Hi, I'm Edward and I'm a hoarder too. If I don't have something like Teamstudio to use for version control then I take copies of a databases design as a ntf and save it in notes document before I make any changes that the customer has not seen. Basic I know but its a process that works.